A comprehensive dental exam will be performed at your initial dental visit. At regular check-up exams, the Doctor will include the following:
- Examination of diagnostic digital x-rays Essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts and bone loss, also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Examination of gums and teeth. Includes measurement of periodontal pockets and an assessment of periodontal disease (gum and bone disease).
- Examination of existing restorations. Check current fillings, crowns, dental implants, veneers, bridges.
- Examination of tooth decay. All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
- Oral precancer and cancer screening. Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, cheek tissues and gums for any signs of oral precancer and cancer using the latest technology called VELscope.
- Thorough teeth cleaning and polishing. A thorough removes stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and flossing.
- General oral health diagnosis. The exam is an excellent opportunity to discuss any concerns about bad breath (halitosis), sleep apnea, or any recurring pain or sensitivity in your mouth, tongue, gums or teeth. The Doctor will describe and explain our findings and recommendations for various treatment options.
- Discuss treatment. Explain treatment priorities and options, financing and payment plans options.
- Oral hygiene recommendations. Review and recommend oral hygiene aids as needed, i.e., electric toothbrushes, special periodontal brushes, rinses.
- Follow-up. An appointment(s) will then be scheduled for treatment and/or cleaning and/or periodontal maintenance.
You will receive educational take-home literature. A preventive program is a cooperative effort by the patient, dentist and dental staff to preserve the natural dentition and supporting structures by preventing the onset, progress, and recurrence of dental diseases and conditions. Preventing dental disease starts at home with good oral hygiene and a balanced diet. It is continued in the dental office by the efforts of your dentist and dental hygienist to promote, restore, and maintain your oral health.
Prevention also includes regular dental x-rays, exams and cleanings 2-4 times per year. Sealants are also great preventive treatments that help protect the teeth. Prevention helps avoid serious and costly dental problems and is the key to having a healthy, confident, beautiful smile.
We are committed to providing you with the finest quality and most thorough dentistry possible. After the first visit, most patients are pleasantly surprised by an exam that was the most thorough they have ever experienced.