Dental prophylaxis is a professional dental cleaning procedure that cleans your teeth thoroughly. Dentists recommend regular dental cleaning in order to maintain perfect oral health. Usually it is recommended to schedule dental cleaning twice a year, but people suffering from gum diseases should go for dental cleaning every 3-4 months.
Necessity of Regular Teeth Cleaning
• Clean teeth give a cleaner and healthier appearance
• Removal of plaque – A sticky and almost invisible film that forms on the teeth is plaque. It is a colony of growing and living bacteria, saliva and food debris.
• Removal of calculus (tartar). Plaque hardens after sitting on the tooth for some time and becomes firm which gets attached to the tooth surface. This hardened surface is called calculus. It forms above and below the gum line.
• Helps in removal of plaque and tartar
• Regular teeth cleaning helps in preventing tooth decay and eventual loss
• Regular cleaning also helps in combating gingivitis and periodontal diseases or gum disease
Teeth Cleaning Procedure
Cleaning is done by a professional dental hygienist at the dentist’s office. Different tools are used to remove tartar from the teeth. The dental hygienist will usually start off with explaining the entire procedure to you. She will cover what all is being done and why. You should also make sure to ask as many questions about the procedure as possible. For example, you might want to know if it hurts while cleaning your teeth or if there are any side effects of the procedure.
• Supragingival cleaning (scaling) – Thorough cleaning of the area above the gum line with scaling tools to get rid of plaque and calculus.
• Subgingival (deep) cleaning (scaling) – For patients with periodontal disease, this is the most important step as the dentist is able to remove the calculus from the gum pockets and also beneath the gum line.
• Root planing – Smoothing of the tooth root to eliminate any remaining bacteria as they are very dangerous to periodontitis sufferers.
• Medication – An antibiotic or antimicrobial cream is applied in the gum pockets following scaling and polishing. These creams help is quick and healthy healing.
The process varies from one clinic to another.Schedule an appointment with our expert dentists to know about teeth cleaning at Lookswoow Dubai.
Benefits of Regular Dental Cleaning
Your appointment for cleaning includes a comprehensive dental examination which includes various benefits:
• Removal of plaque.
• Removal of calculus (tartar).
• Aesthetics – One doesn’t feel confident about their smile if the teeth are yellow and stained. Cleaning can get rid of this and give you back your confident smile.
• Fresher breath – Bad breath is a result of combination of rotting food particles below the gum line, periodontal problems and possible gangrene stemming from infection on the gums. This can be taken care of by removal of plaque and calculus.
• Identification of health issues – A lot of health problems can be detected first by the dentists since cleaning involves thorough investigating of the entire oral cavity. Usually dentists are able to screen for oral cancer and evaluate the risk of periodontal disease. They are also able to spot other medical problems such as diabetes, kidney problems etc.
Dental Cleaning After Care
Irrespective of how healthy your teeth are and how fresh your mouth feels, it is absolutely essential to maintain strict oral hygiene regime at home.
• Learn how to brush teeth properly. Brush your teeth twice daily
• For better results change your tooth brush every 3 months
• It is advisable to choose tooth pastes and mouthwashes without alcohol and contain fluoride
• At least once a day, use dental floss.
• If you have bridges, implants or braces use interdental cleaning tools
• Avoid Sugary and acidic foods and drinks which can cause damaging of your teeth. Prefer proper dieting and healthy foods for teeth
Learn more about how to maintain proper oral hygiene and how it helps in combating oral health issues.